Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Surprises...

John left for Seattle on Sunday, and won't be back until June 22-ish. This means extra chores for me, but it also means I get to plan a surprise! We have an accidental tradition that every time he goes away for an extended period, I do some mammoth project, like replacing the floors in the kitchen (recall the $140 plywood floor that I drew on with a Sharpie to make it look like old barn floor) or build a tack room or repaint the bedroom renovate the cottage or... Well, the list goes on. What will it be this time? I'm not tellin'!

I have finally received page proofs for my book---this is where I get to see it all laid out, with pictures and everything, for the first time! It is so exhilarating to see itmlooking like an actual book! I finished corrections on chapter one yesterday, and will do chapter two today, and send them back together. Simultaneously, I'm finishing copyedits from the end of the book (in chapter 13 now), which is a little confusing.

On Satuday, before John left, we got the roofs and most of the walls on the field shelters. I spent the day up on the roofs with the drill, attaching aluminum roofing to steel beams with self-tapping screws that occasionally didn't 'tap'. Just today, I woke up without sore arms, which is good, because Jo is coming to help finish the up on this rare sunny day between rain storms!

I watched the most amazing movie yesterday, although i can't say quite why it was so great. It's called 'Grey Gardens', and builds on a documentary of the same name that came out in the 60s or 70s. It's about an aunt and cousin of Jackie Kennedy, who become completely non-functional, and live in a ramshackle mansion together. Just a riveting story, kind of about what happens to people when they spend too much time alone! Fortunately, I don't have to worry about that, even with J out of town! Between friends and neighbors and Smokey putting his nose in my face at 6 am, there's very little opportunity for me to go off the rails! Note to self: apparently cats actually encourage that kind of disengaged behavior---there always seem to be dozens of them in these kinds of stories.

Off to finish chores, and then chapter two before Jo gets here. Sunshine today-hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment